It's everywhere in skincare these days - "Clean is best", "Natural skincare that really works", "Organic is safest" - all are super positive messages and what exactly are they saying?
Here is how we draw the lines:
- Natural means things one would find in nature and nothing created or synthesized from chemicals in a laboratory;
- Organic means those natural ingredients raised without pesticides and certified by an agency like the USDA;
- Vegan means no animal products whatsoever, including honey and beeswax derived ingredients; and
- Clean involves any of the above plus man-made or synthesized ingredients that are scientifically demonstrated to be effective and safe.
Nice distinctions that sound meaningful, but what do these mean for performance and safety?
The Volto Urbano Perspective
We believe Clean is safest and best. Here's why.
Our planet produces a dizzying array of cultivated and wild plants, fruits and flowers - some beneficial, some harmful, and some that do nothing at all. For example, rubbing raw lemon juice for vitamin C or poison ivy directly on your face will do harm.
Clean beauty, however, embraces natural, organic and vegan products where they do best and closes the gap when these ingredients cannot make meet our standards for performance and safety. These include:
- Thoughtfully synthesizing Vitamin C in a lab to create highly stable and more easily absorbed forms of Vitamin C that help skin look and feel its best unlike unstable forms that will go bad from light exposure and oxidation;
- Minimizes skin irritation while delivering maximum performance;
- Preservatives formulated in a lab to prevent oxidation and mold growth over long periods of time that perform better like these:
- Food grade preservatives like sodium benzoate and sorbic acid;
- Antimicrobial preservatives like potassium sorbate and benzyl benzoate;
- Other gentle preservatives like caprylhydroxamic acid.
- Natural preservatives have not yet demonstrated similar effective and long lasting protection; and
- Man-made preservatives with a dodgy reputation like parabens can be easily avoided;
- A comprehensive "Does Not Contain" lists like ours:
- Parabens, Synthetic Fragrance, Synthetic Dyes, Gluten, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Petrolatum, Animal-sourced Ingredients (such as bovine-sourced collagen, elastin, colostrum, placenta extract), Lanolin, Beeswax, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulfates, Phthalates, Toluene, Talc, Triclosan, Benzophenones, Progesterone, Formaldehyde-releasing Preservatives (such as imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, DMDM hydantoin, quaternium-15), Solvent Alcohols, Methylisothiazolinone, Triethanolamine, Monoethanolamine, Diethanolamine.
Keeping skin at its best is an act of self-love that is positive and uplifting to how we feel and how we perform.
customized clean regimen for glowing fresh skin.